Along with the rainy season, seeps in the fear of frizzy hair, itchy scalp and hair loss. Hair problems become more frequent in monsoon. But a few tweaks in the daily schedule can stop the monsoon from spoiling the fun, says an expert.
Here are some tips on how to take care of your hair during monsoon by Sanket Shah, owner of Advanced Hair Studio, Indian Subcontinent and Middle Eastern Region.
1) Style smartly: If your hair is giving you sleepless nights because of the monsoon, do not fret. Braiding your hair in this season not only protects it from the damage but also strengthens the hair follicles. Also the damp weather calls for the need to keep your mane dry at all times. Do not make the mistake of stepping out without an umbrella or the water proof hat which protects your hair during the season.
2) Eat right: Diet plays a crucial role in hair care and strengthens the hair follicles. To show off a healthy mane, include things like salmon, eggs, nuts, kidney beans and low fat dairy products which are high in iron and protein. Spinach, carrots and dark green veggies are excellent for hair. Curd is high in vitamin D and prevents hair loss.
3) Hair wash routine: Wash your hair two to three times a week. It makes the hair scalp clean and conditioning further prevents fungal infection. Use an anti-frizz conditioner to de-tangle hair. You can use a comb to spread the conditioner and rinse it with cold water. This helps in providing a shine to your cuticles. Tying wet hair is a big no!
4) Tone down the use of hair styling products: We understand the need to use hair styling products for that best looking mane. However, excess use of hair straightening and curling rods is not advisable in this season. Using dryers can also prove to be harmful in the monsoon season.
5) Home remedies: For dry and frizzy hair, apply a paste of two bananas and honey and leave it for about an hour. This will help to moisturise hair and keep it soft. You may also apply lemon juice on your scalp for 15 minutes and then wash it off. This will ensure an oil-free scalp. Aloe Vera gel can be used to treat dandruff, split ends and hair fall in this season as it restores the pH balance, reduces hair bacteria and relieves scalp itching.